Wednesday, June 23, 2010

iMatchSkills? More like iMehSuckage. Or Something.

I mentioned about completing this before, but I want to reiterate: iMatchSkills was a waste of time. Pure and simple. The process takes about an hour to complete and at the end of it, I was left with nothing useful.

They have you fill out so much incredibly detailed information that ultimately does you no favors. Of course, my background is such that I don't really have a lot of options in the fields I wish to pursue (see music/starving artist). But the fact that they have categories in acting and music leads you to believe maybe, just maybe, they have something for me.

There was section after section of these skills I had to fill out. Under acting: "Can apply voice projection skills" or "Can interpret scripts".
Under music: "Can apply music theory"

It was a little ridiculous.

After I was done, it showed me a list of merely 16 job openings. Some were misspelled or labeled in that helpful kind of way "Customer Service." Not mentioned where the place is or how much compensation was or what the hell the place was even called.
I'll fare much better on Craigslist, thanks very much.

I also found out that my checks from unemployment will be less than previously expected. They take out (of course, how could I not think they would) taxes, which wittles my 220 down to 185. I now am around 240 under as far as handling my bills go. This doesn't even account for gas.

However, a bit of silver lining: Apparently, I can still have a part time job and earn up to 84 dollars a week and still receive benefits. I imagine this is gross earnings. So I could work one day a week and still get that 185 dollars. After about 20% of taxes that would still be around 60 bucks. Add that to my current amount: 245. And that takes care of my bills for the month and leaves me 200 bucks for food.

Interesting. Oh wait, gas. Damnit!

No comments:

Post a Comment